HonorsÕ Freshman Sequence
HHI 21: Identity: Self in the World
Monday, September 28
Paper Outline Due!
Ancient Greece and the Persian Wars
Text: chap. 6, pp. 147-50; chap. 7, pp. 156-64.
1) Who was Heinrich Schlieman? Why was he important?
2) What is a polis? How were they governed?
3) What were the differences between Sparta and Athens?
4) What happened at Thermopylae?
Sources: Herodotus, pp. 72-86.
Wednesday, September 30
Political Identity in Greece: The Polis and the Peloponnesian War
Text: Chapter 7, pp. 164-166.
Sources: Thucydides, pp. 87-100.
1) What is Thucydides vision of his work?
2) What is PericlesÕ vision of Athenian democracy?
3) In what terms to Thucydides view the Peloponnesian War?
4) What does the exchange between the Athenians and the Melians tell you about the nature of Athenian democracy?
Friday, October 2
Self and Society in Greece: The Death of Socrates
Text: Chapter 7, pp. 166-180.
Sources: Socrates, pp. 101-127.
Trial of Socrates
1) Of what was Socrates accused?
2) Did he get a fair trial?
3) What was the ultimate result?
4) What do his actions in Athens say about the nature of the individual and society?